Support Forums
Context for Rockwell Tags

Is there a way to configure a context tag for Rockwell add-on instructions or user defined data types? For example I would like to create a TankType structure with a property named identifier. For tank TK01 I assign the identifier to TK01 and I want all child tags to follow the TK01.TagName structure. I can't figure out the syntax for the tag I/O address expression.

Is there a way to configure a context tag for Rockwell add-on instructions or user defined data types? For example I would like to create a TankType structure with a property named identifier. For tank TK01 I assign the identifier to TK01 and I want all child tags to follow the TK01.TagName structure. I can't figure out the syntax for the tag I/O address expression.

Sure thing. In the context tag, add a property such as tankName. For tank one it's value would be TK01; tank two would be TK02, etc.

You would add the I/O you want as children of the context tag and their addresses would be set up as parameter expressions. An example expression for tank one might be tankName + ".Level" which would resolve to TK01.Level for tank one.

This allows you to copy the context tag and just change the value of the parameter to update all of the children's addresses.

Does this help?

Sure thing. In the context tag, add a property such as tankName. For tank one it's value would be TK01; tank two would be TK02, etc. You would add the I/O you want as children of the context tag and their addresses would be set up as parameter expressions. An example expression for tank one might be `tankName + ".Level"` which would resolve to TK01.Level for tank one. This allows you to copy the context tag and just change the value of the parameter to update all of the children's addresses. Does this help?

Trihedral Engineering Ltd.

Thanks, I realized that I had tried this but for some reason my CIP driver stopped working and I don't know why. This syntax does create the correct tag name though.

Thanks, I realized that I had tried this but for some reason my CIP driver stopped working and I don't know why. This syntax does create the correct tag name though.

I need help with the CIP driver. It worked for a day and now it won't. I have tried new installations of VTScada on different computers.

PLC Rack: ControlLogix L63 with network card in slot 0, CPU in slot 1

Port Config: TCP/IP port with IP address of network card and port 44818

Driver Config: [1,0][1,IP Address]

I have the CIP driver widgets on a screen but they don't give me any info other than the driver is disconnected.

I need help with the CIP driver. It worked for a day and now it won't. I have tried new installations of VTScada on different computers. PLC Rack: ControlLogix L63 with network card in slot 0, CPU in slot 1 Port Config: TCP/IP port with IP address of network card and port 44818 Driver Config: [1,0][1,IP Address] I have the CIP driver widgets on a screen but they don't give me any info other than the driver is disconnected.

I was curious about that as I checked with our engineering group and the method noted above should have worked fine. Can you contact me at trihedral.com and I will get some more details from you to help with this.

**Follow-up: In this case, the correct configuration for your Driver Config Port Segment was [1,1]. The default of [1,0] is typical for most users. [] will also work on many newer processors.

I was curious about that as I checked with our engineering group and the method noted above should have worked fine. Can you contact me at trihedral.com and I will get some more details from you to help with this. **Follow-up: In this case, the correct configuration for your Driver Config Port Segment was [1,1]. The default of [1,0] is typical for most users. [] will also work on many newer processors.

Trihedral Engineering Ltd.

edited Apr 19 '18 at 5:40 pm
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft