Support Forums
GE series 90 driver with symbolic tag support?

Hey all,
Just looking for some input on modifying the GE series 90 driver to accept symbolic tags. If this can be managed I can cut out an intermediary OPC client and just run everything through VTScada.

Hey all, Just looking for some input on modifying the GE series 90 driver to accept symbolic tags. If this can be managed I can cut out an intermediary OPC client and just run everything through VTScada.

It would require a separate driver being developed, I think.

Some of the newer GE controllers now support OPC UA albeit in a very limited capacity, not to mention how terrible the GE programming environment is.

Otherwise, you can get rid of OPC client by mapping symbolic tags to registers and bits in the PLC, although that's a bit messy.

It would require a separate driver being developed, I think. Some of the newer GE controllers now support OPC UA albeit in a very limited capacity, not to mention how terrible the GE programming environment is. Otherwise, you can get rid of OPC client by mapping symbolic tags to registers and bits in the PLC, although that's a bit messy.
edited Jul 14 '20 at 11:14 pm

Yeah I have looked into that and it would require a rewrite of most of the PLC program. Its unfortunate as Its the only PLC at the site that uses symbolic tags.

Yeah I have looked into that and it would require a rewrite of most of the PLC program. Its unfortunate as Its the only PLC at the site that uses symbolic tags.
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft