Support Forums
OPC UA Drive on VT SCADA Not connecting

Is OPC UA Driver supported in Light Version? I cannot get it to connect to a server: status not refreshed.

On the I/O address assist button seems grayed out and I cannot tell what is failing.

Tried from same client host UAExplorer and it connects fine.

I selected Anonymous and no certificates. Is this configuration not supported?

Is the a log file somewhere I can view?

Is OPC UA Driver supported in Light Version? I cannot get it to connect to a server: status not refreshed. On the I/O address assist button seems grayed out and I cannot tell what is failing. Tried from same client host UAExplorer and it connects fine. I selected Anonymous and no certificates. Is this configuration not supported? Is the a log file somewhere I can view?

Any updated answer to this from anyone? I have a S7-1500 with a OPC UA server running and I setup the driver, but get the greyed out assist button when I try to add I/O. I don't see anything telling me what is wrong. I have no certificates and selected anonymous. The S7 side is bare bones security as well, allowing any connection to connect without certificate.

Any updated answer to this from anyone? I have a S7-1500 with a OPC UA server running and I setup the driver, but get the greyed out assist button when I try to add I/O. I don't see anything telling me what is wrong. I have no certificates and selected anonymous. The S7 side is bare bones security as well, allowing any connection to connect without certificate.

I think we recently got some changes made to how the anonymous connections work, so I would retry on the latest version.

I think we recently got some changes made to how the anonymous connections work, so I would retry on the latest version.

Thank you for the quick reply Michael.

I am using VTScada 12.0.14. I see this under the revision notes under 12.0.13:
"The VTSCada OPC UA Client Driver would fail to connect to OPC
servers when set to Username authentication, and the username was left blank."

I don't see any other references to fixed OPC issues through the current 12.0.19. I will still try to update to latest tomorrow onsite, but any other thoughts in the mean time? Or is there a log as m2brenesp asked initially to check?

Thank you for the quick reply Michael. I am using VTScada 12.0.14. I see this under the revision notes under 12.0.13: "The VTSCada OPC UA Client Driver would fail to connect to OPC servers when set to Username authentication, and the username was left blank." I don't see any other references to fixed OPC issues through the current 12.0.19. I will still try to update to latest tomorrow onsite, but any other thoughts in the mean time? Or is there a log as m2brenesp asked initially to check?

There were some improvements made to the OPCUA driver in ver 12.00.21 but I still have issues as well. Officially, if your controller doesn't have a FQDN it must have its IP address in the SAN of the certificate. My controller generates a server certificate with its IP address in the SAN but VT still fails to maintain connection unless I keep the dialog window open with 'Minimum Security' checked off in the Diagnostics tab. I have no issues with other Clients though. Its kind of weird but I'm not knowledgeable enough to know what questions to ask. VTScada's Engineers are convinced that it works properly. Perhaps they're right but if others are having similar issues....

At the very least, make sure you're running VT12.00.21.

There were some improvements made to the OPCUA driver in ver 12.00.21 but I still have issues as well. Officially, if your controller doesn't have a FQDN it must have its IP address in the SAN of the certificate. My controller generates a server certificate with its IP address in the SAN but VT still fails to maintain connection unless I keep the dialog window open with 'Minimum Security' checked off in the Diagnostics tab. I have no issues with other Clients though. Its kind of weird but I'm not knowledgeable enough to know what questions to ask. VTScada's Engineers are convinced that it works properly. Perhaps they're right but if others are having similar issues.... At the very least, make sure you're running VT12.00.21.

OPC UA requires the use of certificates to identify the endpoints. Test tools and other applications may choose to ignore that security requirement or allow it to be disabled but VTScada does not. As noted in the help for the driver "VTScada ALWAYS requires a trusted server certificate".

The server MUST have a certificate that is trusted by VTScada and validates correctly for the endpoint URL configured in VTScada and the certificate is correctly signed and is within the validity dates.

This means that if the endpoint uses a host name, e.g. opc.tpc://myopserver.somedomain.com:4840 then the hostname element MUST appear in either the certificate Subject field (as a CN element) or in the Subject Alternative Name field (SAN) as a DNS Name element exactly as specified in the URL.

If the system does not have name resolution configured and an IP address is used, e.g. opc.tcp://1.2.3.4:4840, then the IP MUST appear in the certificate SAN field as an IP Address element.

If the certificate is not issued by a trusted CA, e.g. it's self-signed, then the certificate MUST be manually trusted by viewing the driver "Server Certificate" tab, selecting the certificate in the untrusted list and clicking the "Add Trust" button.

Like all drivers in VTScada, you can draw a Statistics Dialog button (Diagnostics -> Comm Stats Btn) that will display some info about the connection including the latest error.

OPC UA requires the use of certificates to identify the endpoints. Test tools and other applications may choose to ignore that security requirement or allow it to be disabled but VTScada does not. As noted in the [help](https://www.vtscada.com/help/Content/D_Tags/D_OPCUA_Tag.htm) for the driver "VTScada ALWAYS requires a trusted server certificate". The server MUST have a certificate that is trusted by VTScada and validates correctly for the endpoint URL configured in VTScada and the certificate is correctly signed and is within the validity dates. This means that if the endpoint uses a host name, e.g. `opc.tpc://myopserver.somedomain.com:4840` then the hostname element MUST appear in either the certificate Subject field (as a CN element) or in the Subject Alternative Name field (SAN) as a `DNS Name` element exactly as specified in the URL. If the system does not have name resolution configured and an IP address is used, e.g. `opc.tcp://1.2.3.4:4840`, then the IP MUST appear in the certificate SAN field as an `IP Address` element. If the certificate is not issued by a trusted CA, e.g. it's self-signed, then the certificate MUST be manually trusted by viewing the driver "Server Certificate" tab, selecting the certificate in the untrusted list and clicking the "Add Trust" button. Like all drivers in VTScada, you can draw a Statistics Dialog button (Diagnostics -> Comm Stats Btn) that will display some info about the connection including the latest error.

Software Developer with Trihedral

live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft