Support Forums
How To Link Workstation Tags

I am new to VTScada, and I want to monitor our networked PCs at home.

I used workstation tags but the only one that is working is the local PC where VTScada is currently installed (I have it in 2 laptops but it doesnt work, although I can see them in the dropdown menu when I first configured the workstation tag.

1. Am I missing some steps? For example, do I need to create a parent comms tag first?

2. If I need to create a comms tag, what port number will I use?

Please advise. Thank you.

I am new to VTScada, and I want to monitor our networked PCs at home. I used workstation tags but the only one that is working is the local PC where VTScada is currently installed (I have it in 2 laptops but it doesnt work, although I can see them in the dropdown menu when I first configured the workstation tag. 1. Am I missing some steps? For example, do I need to create a parent comms tag first? 2. If I need to create a comms tag, what port number will I use? Please advise. Thank you.

The network status tags within VTScada monitor VTScada to VTSCada communications. In order for this to work, you would have to have VTScada installed on all the computers.

The network status tags within VTScada monitor VTScada to VTSCada communications. In order for this to work, you would have to have VTScada installed on all the computers.

Doug Spurrell

Hello Doug, thank you so much for you prompt reply.

I have the following concerns though:

1. I would then have to install vtscada in each machine i need to monitor? How come it works of I need to monitor other devices like RTU or a PLC?

2. Should Windows API not take care of that feature anymore?

3. What if I just want to monitor the PC's hard drive and memory- shouldi still need to go to this route?

Hello Doug, thank you so much for you prompt reply. I have the following concerns though: 1. I would then have to install vtscada in each machine i need to monitor? How come it works of I need to monitor other devices like RTU or a PLC? 2. Should Windows API not take care of that feature anymore? 3. What if I just want to monitor the PC's hard drive and memory- shouldi still need to go to this route?

I think I may have mis-understood. Workstation tags use the Windows API on the local machine in the tag to collect data about that machine. VTScada has to be running on the machine to make the connection to the local API. VTScada does not connect to these across the network. I woiuld have to confirm with development, but I don't believe the API's that reveal this information are available across the network.

If VTScada and the application are running on multiple servers, then VTScada collects the data and transfers it to the other workstations. If the VTScada application on the workstation defined in the tag is stopped, or the other servers can't connect to it, the information from the API on that workstation is no longer RPC's to the other workstations.

VTScada will not collect data from any computer that is not running VTScada and the same app. Barring of course that the computer reveals that information via SNMP. Then, an SNMP driver could be set up and the appropriate status tags could link to that without using

I think I may have mis-understood. Workstation tags use the Windows API on the local machine in the tag to collect data about that machine. VTScada has to be running on the machine to make the connection to the local API. VTScada does not connect to these across the network. I woiuld have to confirm with development, but I don't believe the API's that reveal this information are available across the network. If VTScada and the application are running on multiple servers, then VTScada collects the data and transfers it to the other workstations. If the VTScada application on the workstation defined in the tag is stopped, or the other servers can't connect to it, the information from the API on that workstation is no longer RPC's to the other workstations. VTScada will not collect data from any computer that is not running VTScada and the same app. Barring of course that the computer reveals that information via SNMP. Then, an SNMP driver could be set up and the appropriate status tags could link to that without using

Doug Spurrell

live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft