Support Forums
Digital Input Historical Logging

I have created my digital input tags and drew the tags with widgets. However, the logging of the DI tags in the historical viewer is not shown unless I leave the Historical Viewer open. Hence, the DI data before I open the Historical viewer is not logged. As for the analog input tags, the tags are logged autonomously based on real-time values even the Historical Viewer is not open. How can I configure the DI tags to log on the historical viewer while I work on other applications?
Thanks in advance.

I have created my digital input tags and drew the tags with widgets. However, the logging of the DI tags in the historical viewer is not shown unless I leave the Historical Viewer open. Hence, the DI data before I open the Historical viewer is not logged. As for the analog input tags, the tags are logged autonomously based on real-time values even the Historical Viewer is not open. How can I configure the DI tags to log on the historical viewer while I work on other applications? Thanks in advance.

This is typical if there is no historical logger attached to the tag. When you choose to view a tag without a logger, a temporary logger will be assigned to the tag. You can go into the tag properties and add a logger in the historian tag. A better solution may be to use the Digital Status tag instead of the Digital Input. The Digital Status tag is a newer version of the digital input tag and does have a logger attached by default.

Note that, when adding new tags, those with loggers automatically attached will have a small graph icon beside them

This is typical if there is no historical logger attached to the tag. When you choose to view a tag without a logger, a temporary logger will be assigned to the tag. You can go into the tag properties and add a logger in the historian tag. **A better solution may be to use the Digital Status tag instead of the Digital Input.** The Digital Status tag is a newer version of the digital input tag and does have a logger attached by default. Note that, when adding new tags, those with loggers automatically attached will have a small graph icon beside them https://www.trihedral.com/help/Content/Resources/Images/Dev_AddNewTag.png

Trihedral Engineering Ltd.

Is there any intention of deprecating the Analog Input/Output and Digital Input/Output tags in the future? Currently we only utilize Status tags except for the Digital Output tag which has the Data Source and Pulse options, and the Analog Control tag, which can act as a "memory" tag when PLC edits are not possible (but this could be eliminated with virtual I/O).

Is there any intention of deprecating the Analog Input/Output and Digital Input/Output tags in the future? Currently we only utilize Status tags except for the Digital Output tag which has the Data Source and Pulse options, and the Analog Control tag, which can act as a "memory" tag when PLC edits are not possible (but this could be eliminated with virtual I/O).

Currently, those are more legacy tag types and are mostly included for backward compatibility. We would suggest new application use Status and Control instead of Input and Output tags.

If we ever depreciate those tags, we will ensure that they are moved to a compatible tag type. Personally, I typically use the String I/O tag or a virtual PLC to store data, depending on my needs. Note that the virtual PLC will reset values when the application is restarted but has better support for redundant servers when used to store data.

Currently, those are more legacy tag types and are mostly included for backward compatibility. We would suggest new application use Status and Control instead of Input and Output tags. If we ever depreciate those tags, we will ensure that they are moved to a compatible tag type. Personally, I typically use the String I/O tag or a virtual PLC to store data, depending on my needs. Note that the virtual PLC will reset values when the application is restarted but has better support for redundant servers when used to store data.

Trihedral Engineering Ltd.

live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft