General Discussions
PC/Server components/build

Hello,

I am considering the switch over to VT and I am getting a PC to test it out on, but will also be the main server on which it will run should I choose to do the switch.

I have always tried to purchase more than the minimum for the few SCADA servers I have setup. I want to do the same for this. However, its been a while since I have bought one and as I am building it the cost is getting on up there....

I have always gone with Xeon chips, ECC memory, SSD, etc.

If after testing, and all goes well, I'll be going with a Dual Server, so that will require me to have x2 whatever I go with.

We run just shy of 2000 external points, and I am not sure of the number of internal ones I would be using.

Typically, on any given day, there will be 3-4 people logged in using thin clients, but that could increase to 7-8 at a time.

I do want to use M.2 NVMe for storage, unless it is recommended to avoid that, because we do a lot of trending and historical lookup which really runs slow even on the SATA SSD I run in my current server.

I am just looking for opinions, what others have used, and what would be considered mid-class, not minimal. I have never had a server fail me yet, or lost any data by making sure it is well above what minimum specs are. In my early years I did loose some from trying to just get by.

Hello, I am considering the switch over to VT and I am getting a PC to test it out on, but will also be the main server on which it will run should I choose to do the switch. I have always tried to purchase more than the minimum for the few SCADA servers I have setup. I want to do the same for this. However, its been a while since I have bought one and as I am building it the cost is getting on up there.... I have always gone with Xeon chips, ECC memory, SSD, etc. If after testing, and all goes well, I'll be going with a Dual Server, so that will require me to have x2 whatever I go with. We run just shy of 2000 external points, and I am not sure of the number of internal ones I would be using. Typically, on any given day, there will be 3-4 people logged in using thin clients, but that could increase to 7-8 at a time. I do want to use M.2 NVMe for storage, unless it is recommended to avoid that, because we do a lot of trending and historical lookup which really runs slow even on the SATA SSD I run in my current server. I am just looking for opinions, what others have used, and what would be considered mid-class, not minimal. I have never had a server fail me yet, or lost any data by making sure it is well above what minimum specs are. In my early years I did loose some from trying to just get by.

Hi BWRPWA,

Thanks for considering VTScada.

We agree with you when it comes to recommending PC hardware. Rather that provide the very minimum requirements to run VTScada, we recommend specs that will provide reliable performance for what ever size your system is.

With that in mind, we created this page of PC and OS recommendations.

Hopefully this helps with your selection process.
Chris

Hi BWRPWA, Thanks for considering VTScada. We agree with you when it comes to recommending PC hardware. Rather that provide the very minimum requirements to run VTScada, we recommend specs that will provide reliable performance for what ever size your system is. With that in mind, we created [this page of PC and OS recommendations.](https://www.vtscada.com/scada-system-requirements/ ) Hopefully this helps with your selection process. Chris

Chris,

Thank you for your reply. I took a while orginally typing up the post and when I clicked on "Post" it gave me an error, so I was not sure if it went through or not. I'll hopefully get used to the forum eventually.

I have a follow up question. We will want to do a lot of reporting and such. Would it be recommended to have Microsoft Office and Adobe Acrobat installed on the server in order to handle the reporting? Or is that not needed for the type of reporting that VTScada does?

Chris, Thank you for your reply. I took a while orginally typing up the post and when I clicked on "Post" it gave me an error, so I was not sure if it went through or not. I'll hopefully get used to the forum eventually. I have a follow up question. We will want to do a lot of reporting and such. Would it be recommended to have Microsoft Office and Adobe Acrobat installed on the server in order to handle the reporting? Or is that not needed for the type of reporting that VTScada does?

I guess one of my biggest questions is the type of memory and processor. I have read through the system recommendations, but they are very general and not specific.

Is ECC memory recommended for the server? I cannot find much information on it's value in a SCADA server. Just that you want to use it if its a mission critical server. Of course, then there is the Xeon processor that always comes recommended for critical server applications. But again, is it overkill for VTScada?

I use them both on our SCADA server now, and have never had any issues, so I am tempted to use it for the new server. But I am trying to get a general idea of those who have been running VTScada for a while without that type of memory or processor and if there have been any issues not using it.

Thanks,
Nathan

I guess one of my biggest questions is the type of memory and processor. I have read through the system recommendations, but they are very general and not specific. Is ECC memory recommended for the server? I cannot find much information on it's value in a SCADA server. Just that you want to use it if its a mission critical server. Of course, then there is the Xeon processor that always comes recommended for critical server applications. But again, is it overkill for VTScada? I use them both on our SCADA server now, and have never had any issues, so I am tempted to use it for the new server. But I am trying to get a general idea of those who have been running VTScada for a while without that type of memory or processor and if there have been any issues not using it. Thanks, Nathan
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft