General Discussions
SCADA/HMI

Hello everyone,

I'm a beginner with raspberry pi and also to Python language. I'm trying to use the raspberry pi 3 for industrial application and for that I've connected quite a few sensors (temperature, humidity, co2 etc.) I'm successfully able to get reading from the individual sensors and wrote a structured program with few functions related to each sensors to get reading from all the sensors in 2 sec interval and display the reading in GUI. But as I'm increasing the number of sensors/functions the GUI is gradually becoming a little slower. Now, I want to make the GUI like a HMI and hence added few pop-up pages with options to set some Alarms, Hysteresis limits/outputs etc. The pop-up pages are working but the GUI has become very very slow (maybe because of bad/novice programming). I'm finding it very difficult to make GUI with Tkinter programming and make several pop-ups for my purpose. Is there any options to install any SCADA/HMI software on raspberry pi itself and display the values from the sensors and also using it to set some output from the operator input? I tried to install Advanced HMI (I read from Advanced HMI website that it supports on raspberry pi) but I couldn't find the proper installation file and I'm still in big trouble. I really don't know how to create an efficient HMI on raspberry pi.

Any suggestion regarding this will be most helpful!

I didn't find the right solution from the internet.
References:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=194425

explainer video

Hello everyone, I'm a beginner with raspberry pi and also to Python language. I'm trying to use the raspberry pi 3 for industrial application and for that I've connected quite a few sensors (temperature, humidity, co2 etc.) I'm successfully able to get reading from the individual sensors and wrote a structured program with few functions related to each sensors to get reading from all the sensors in 2 sec interval and display the reading in GUI. But as I'm increasing the number of sensors/functions the GUI is gradually becoming a little slower. Now, I want to make the GUI like a HMI and hence added few pop-up pages with options to set some Alarms, Hysteresis limits/outputs etc. The pop-up pages are working but the GUI has become very very slow (maybe because of bad/novice programming). I'm finding it very difficult to make GUI with Tkinter programming and make several pop-ups for my purpose. Is there any options to install any SCADA/HMI software on raspberry pi itself and display the values from the sensors and also using it to set some output from the operator input? I tried to install Advanced HMI (I read from Advanced HMI website that it supports on raspberry pi) but I couldn't find the proper installation file and I'm still in big trouble. I really don't know how to create an efficient HMI on raspberry pi. Any suggestion regarding this will be most helpful! I didn't find the right solution from the internet. References: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=194425 [explainer video](https://blog.advids.co/20-animated-explainer-videos-that-are-awesome/)

Thanks for your post. VTScada can only be installed on a Windows computer so you won't be able to install it on your Raspberry Pi. that said, you can add a Modbus stack to your Pi and then access all of the I/O using VTScada and the included Modbus TCP/IP driver. I believe that is how most users are currently directly connecting Raspberry Pi and Andriod devices to VTScada.

If you go this route, note that you can run small VTScada applications on a very low-cost, low-power, PC such as the Lenovo Stick 300.

Thanks for your post. VTScada can only be installed on a Windows computer so you won't be able to install it on your Raspberry Pi. that said, you can add a Modbus stack to your Pi and then access all of the I/O using VTScada and the included Modbus TCP/IP driver. I believe that is how most users are currently directly connecting Raspberry Pi and Andriod devices to VTScada. If you go this route, note that you can run small VTScada applications on a very low-cost, low-power, PC such as the Lenovo Stick 300.

Trihedral Engineering Ltd.

There are a few scenarios you could try to use VTScada for, but it's not built for what you're doing. Installing Windows on your pi is not what it's intended to do but possible. A better option would be to use the pi as a data soruce and query the data from a more powerful Windows workstation.

There are other much more minimal "SCADA" software which will run on Linux.

But your issue is likely with your Python code. Python may be slow, but you should easily be able to process a few hundred values every few seconds.

There are a few scenarios you could try to use VTScada for, but it's not built for what you're doing. Installing Windows on your pi is not what it's intended to do but possible. A better option would be to use the pi as a data soruce and query the data from a more powerful Windows workstation. There are other much more minimal "SCADA" software which will run on Linux. But your issue is likely with your Python code. Python may be slow, but you should easily be able to process a few hundred values every few seconds.

You can also put an SNMP server on your Pi and tie that to the GPIO ports. I've done it and it works, but it's slow. You also need to take a lot of precautions regarding security if your Pi connects to the Internet or pretty soon it's going to be a zombie for somebody's DDS network.

The Pi is a fantastic device for learning a lot about technology. (I take one to all of my courses now.) You can do some basic monitoring of things around the house and control nifty gadgets.
But, it's not a PLC and never will be. If you want to do industrial monitoring and control, then sooner or later you'll need to use the right tools for the job.

You can also put an SNMP server on your Pi and tie that to the GPIO ports. I've done it and it works, but it's slow. You also need to take a lot of precautions regarding security if your Pi connects to the Internet or pretty soon it's going to be a zombie for somebody's DDS network. The Pi is a fantastic device for learning a lot about technology. (I take one to all of my courses now.) You can do some basic monitoring of things around the house and control nifty gadgets. But, it's not a PLC and never will be. If you want to do industrial monitoring and control, then sooner or later you'll need to use the right tools for the job.

The x86 version may run VTScada but we have never tested it and, as such, don't support it. I am not sure if the ARM version will run VTScada at all.

If someone out there does try it, let me know how it turns out....

The x86 version may run VTScada but we have never tested it and, as such, don't support it. I am not sure if the ARM version will run VTScada at all. If someone out there does try it, let me know how it turns out....

Doug Spurrell

We have systems running VTScada on Windows 10 IOT Enterprise though compatibility on that platform has not been certified by our development team. Note that, to date, the only version of Windows 10 on Raspberry Pi that I know of is Windows 10 IOT Core. You can learn a bit more about the different versions of Windows 10 IOT here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/WindowsForBusiness/windows-iot

We have systems running VTScada on Windows 10 IOT Enterprise though compatibility on that platform has not been certified by our development team. Note that, to date, the only version of Windows 10 on Raspberry Pi that I know of is Windows 10 IOT Core. You can learn a bit more about the different versions of Windows 10 IOT here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/WindowsForBusiness/windows-iot

Hi...i am a new user here. As per my knowledge TScada can only be installed on a Windows computer so you won't be able to install it on your Raspberry Pi. that said, you can add a Modbus stack to your Pi and then access all of the I/O using VTScada and the included Modbus TCP/IP driver. I believe that is how most users are currently directly connecting Raspberry Pi and Andriod devices to VTScada.

Hi...i am a new user here. As per my knowledge TScada can only be installed on a Windows computer so you won't be able to install it on your Raspberry Pi. that said, you can add a Modbus stack to your Pi and then access all of the I/O using VTScada and the included Modbus TCP/IP driver. I believe that is how most users are currently directly connecting Raspberry Pi and Andriod devices to VTScada.

For those looking to try VTScadaLight on a Raspberry Pi. Rejoice! It looks like Microsoft released a proper Windows build for the Pi 3. See the article below for more details:

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/windows-10-arm-raspberry-pi-3-installer,38604.html

Note: I have not tried this as the news just came out a few hours ago and I own a Pi 2B which is not supported. Someone please try it and report back to this thread!

For those looking to try VTScadaLight on a Raspberry Pi. Rejoice! It looks like Microsoft released a proper Windows build for the Pi 3. See the article below for more details: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/windows-10-arm-raspberry-pi-3-installer,38604.html Note: I have not tried this as the news just came out a few hours ago and I own a Pi 2B which is not supported. Someone please try it and report back to this thread!

live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft