General Discussions
Disappearing ports

Hello, I'm working on a legacy VTS (7.1.1 on Windows 7) and the PC keeps losing virtual ports - different ones each time.
Any suggestions why and how to stop it? We're upgrading shortly. Will the problem go away on Windows 10?

Hello, I'm working on a legacy VTS (7.1.1 on Windows 7) and the PC keeps losing virtual ports - different ones each time. Any suggestions why and how to stop it? We're upgrading shortly. Will the problem go away on Windows 10?

Yes, I'm using a 16 port convertor. The Device Manager shows the port numbers changed in varying ways. New ones turn up (31 to 34) but various old ones disappear. The Event Log has no related messages.

Yes, I'm using a 16 port convertor. The Device Manager shows the port numbers changed in varying ways. New ones turn up (31 to 34) but various old ones disappear. The Event Log has no related messages.

It sounds like the device may be trying to pull more power than the USB port can supply, causing it to reset while the PC is running. Many of these devices have terrible drivers and will register as a new device if reset. That would cause the device to be assigned a new port number. Of course, this is just a hypothesis.

You could test it by unplugging and replugging the device with the PC running to see if that causes it to get a new port number.

It sounds like the device may be trying to pull more power than the USB port can supply, causing it to reset while the PC is running. Many of these devices have terrible drivers and will register as a new device if reset. That would cause the device to be assigned a new port number. Of course, this is just a hypothesis. You could test it by unplugging and replugging the device with the PC running to see if that causes it to get a new port number.

Trihedral Engineering Ltd.

edited Mar 19 '20 at 9:38 pm
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft