General Discussions
Alarm Category with Specific Properties

I am using the warning category for non-critical alarms, and an alarm list widget set to show Active Alarms from the System Alarm DB to display these and critical alarms to the operator.

Currently the warning alarms show up in the alarm list and are highlighted yellow, this is desired.

I would, however, prefer they not cause window flashing or sound, and not require acknowledgement, rather act more as events that the operator should be notified of.

Is this possible to configure? And if so, what is the best way to do this? Alarming for all critical alarms currently functions as desired.

Thanks.

I am using the warning category for non-critical alarms, and an alarm list widget set to show Active Alarms from the System Alarm DB to display these and critical alarms to the operator. Currently the warning alarms show up in the alarm list and are highlighted yellow, this is desired. I would, however, prefer they not cause window flashing or sound, and not require acknowledgement, rather act more as events that the operator should be notified of. Is this possible to configure? And if so, what is the best way to do this? Alarming for all critical alarms currently functions as desired. Thanks.

I have found out how to turn off the sound (enter 0 under "action" tab). Is there no way to do the above? Or possibly to auto-acknowledge an alarm?

Thanks.

I have found out how to turn off the sound (enter 0 under "action" tab). Is there no way to do the above? Or possibly to auto-acknowledge an alarm? Thanks.

There are a couple of things you can do. First, the display and sound associated with every alarm priority is set in the matching Alarm Priority tag. In this case, AlarmPriority3.
You can read about those here:
https://www.vtscada.com/help/Content/D_Tags/Dev_AlarmPriority.htm

Version 12 allows for automatic acknowledgement of groups of alarms. You'll just need a parent Context tag with the property AutoAckClearedAlarms as described here:
https://www.vtscada.com/help/Content/D_AlarmSystem/Dev_AlarmSystem.htm#AutomaticAck

Not sure what you mean by "window flashing" though. Are you referring to a widget, the title bar, or what?

There are a couple of things you can do. First, the display and sound associated with every alarm priority is set in the matching Alarm Priority tag. In this case, AlarmPriority3. You can read about those here: https://www.vtscada.com/help/Content/D_Tags/Dev_AlarmPriority.htm Version 12 allows for automatic acknowledgement of groups of alarms. You'll just need a parent Context tag with the property AutoAckClearedAlarms as described here: https://www.vtscada.com/help/Content/D_AlarmSystem/Dev_AlarmSystem.htm#AutomaticAck Not sure what you mean by "window flashing" though. Are you referring to a widget, the title bar, or what?

Thank you for this reply, very helpful.

Is there a way to turn off the requirement for acknowledgement for a specific alarm group? Say, not requiring acknowledgement for group 3 alarms, simply displaying them until they are cleared, similar to an event.

By window flashing, I mean the title bar. I'd like to be able to turn this off for some warnings.

Thank you for this reply, very helpful. Is there a way to turn off the requirement for acknowledgement for a specific alarm group? Say, not requiring acknowledgement for group 3 alarms, simply displaying them until they are cleared, similar to an event. By window flashing, I mean the title bar. I'd like to be able to turn this off for some warnings.

There's no way to turn off the need to acknowledge alarms based on priority, other than the fact that events (priority 0) don't need to be acknowledged and everything else (priorities 1 through 4) do. Best I can offer is the automatic alarm acknowledgement as noted in the earlier reply.

Really, it comes down to the definition what an alarm is: something that an operator has to deal with. If all that you want is a notification that something's going on, it would be better to create a Calc tag (or I/O and Calculations with an expression) to monitor for the situation and draw that as something to catch the attention. You can even make it vanish until the problem shows up. (Look for expression examples in the docs.)

The title bar flashing is controlled by a property in the Application Configuration dialog , Alarms tab. It's either blink for all or steady for all.

There's no way to turn off the need to acknowledge alarms based on priority, other than the fact that events (priority 0) don't need to be acknowledged and everything else (priorities 1 through 4) do. Best I can offer is the automatic alarm acknowledgement as noted in the earlier reply. Really, it comes down to the definition what an alarm is: something that an operator has to deal with. If all that you want is a notification that something's going on, it would be better to create a Calc tag (or I/O and Calculations with an expression) to monitor for the situation and draw that as something to catch the attention. You can even make it vanish until the problem shows up. (Look for expression examples in the docs.) The title bar flashing is controlled by a property in the [Application Configuration dialog](https://www.vtscada.com/help/Content/p_Properties/var_BasicMode.htm) , Alarms tab. It's either blink for all or steady for all.
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft