General Discussions
DNP3 input change with time

We are incorporating opendnp3 outstation into our product. We are sending changes with time. However, all logs and trends show points changing at time of reception rather than the time sent with the point change. We have used wireshark to verify the unsolicited change message is going out correctly. Is there a configuration in VTScada to tell it to use the transmitted time rather then the time of reception.

We are incorporating opendnp3 outstation into our product. We are sending changes with time. However, all logs and trends show points changing at time of reception rather than the time sent with the point change. We have used wireshark to verify the unsolicited change message is going out correctly. Is there a configuration in VTScada to tell it to use the transmitted time rather then the time of reception.

I have a similar need and also need the ability to receive buffered dnp3 events so that our outstation will store readings when comms are down and transmit the buffered events when comms are restored.

I have a similar need and also need the ability to receive buffered dnp3 events so that our outstation will store readings when comms are down and transmit the buffered events when comms are restored.

VTScada does support stored data transmission with DNP3 and the values received should include and be stored based on the timestamp of when they were recorded on the device, not when they were transmitted to VTScada. The transmitted data packets should have a timestamp for each data point.

VTScada does support stored data transmission with DNP3 and the values received should include and be stored based on the timestamp of when they were recorded on the device, not when they were transmitted to VTScada. The transmitted data packets should have a timestamp for each data point.

Trihedral Engineering Ltd.

What address are you actually using in your IO tag, please?

What address are you actually using in your IO tag, please?

Doug Spurrell

We have one digital point at index 0. It reports a change exactly on the minute change with a changing event time of 10,20,30,40 or 50 seconds earlier.(i.e. report time 10:02:00, event time 10:01:50)
Wire shark shows the event time correctly in the message. However, the Plot Data graphic and the Historic Data show it changing on the minute.60993a5c5283a

We have one digital point at index 0. It reports a change exactly on the minute change with a changing event time of 10,20,30,40 or 50 seconds earlier.(i.e. report time 10:02:00, event time 10:01:50) Wire shark shows the event time correctly in the message. However, the Plot Data graphic and the Historic Data show it changing on the minute.![60993a5c5283a](serve/attachment&path=60993a5c5283a)

Is there a time difference between the controller and the workstation? It is very easy to be 10 seconds out of sync if the controller and workstation clock are not being synchronized at least monthly.

Is there a time difference between the controller and the workstation? It is very easy to be 10 seconds out of sync if the controller and workstation clock are not being synchronized at least monthly.
edited May 10 '21 at 7:10 pm

Time is synchronized on both outstation and VTScada. I believe this may require the point to be logged in VTScada. However, it is not intuitively obvious how to do this.

Time is synchronized on both outstation and VTScada. I believe this may require the point to be logged in VTScada. However, it is not intuitively obvious how to do this.

Support for Outstation timestamped events is fundamental to DNP3 operation and is used by many customers, so I'm not sure what's going wrong for you.

Can you confirm that you have NOT checked the DNP3 driver config checkbox for "Timestamps are in local time"? This is a legacy option for really old devices that don't confirm to the DNP3 requirement of sending events in UTC.

If the Outstation requests time synchronisation by setting the IIN Need time flag (IIN1.4) then the DNP3 driver will send time info to the Outstation so that VTScada and the Outstation are in sync.

To see exactly what has been logged for a tag, the HDV can be switched to the "Grid" tab and the Data Mode set to "Raw Data". The timestamps shown then should line up with the timestamps shown in a Wireshark capture.

Support for Outstation timestamped events is fundamental to DNP3 operation and is used by many customers, so I'm not sure what's going wrong for you. Can you confirm that you have NOT checked the DNP3 driver config checkbox for "Timestamps are in local time"? This is a legacy option for really old devices that don't confirm to the DNP3 requirement of sending events in UTC. If the Outstation requests time synchronisation by setting the IIN Need time flag (IIN1.4) then the DNP3 driver will send time info to the Outstation so that VTScada and the Outstation are in sync. To see exactly what has been logged for a tag, the HDV can be switched to the "Grid" tab and the Data Mode set to "Raw Data". The timestamps shown then should line up with the timestamps shown in a Wireshark capture.

Software Developer with Trihedral

live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft