Support Forums
Read from a Text File

I have some motor data that I want to display on my SCADA screens.

I have tags for various info like Pump HP, Name, Install date, etc.
If I make changes to my app and then import the changeset, all my tag values get reset.

Is there a way to maintain the tag values even through a changeset import?

I'm thinking that importing the information from a text file would work. My problem is I don't know how to do this in VTScada. Any ideas?

I have some motor data that I want to display on my SCADA screens. I have tags for various info like Pump HP, Name, Install date, etc. If I make changes to my app and then import the changeset, all my tag values get reset. Is there a way to maintain the tag values even through a changeset import? I'm thinking that importing the information from a text file would work. My problem is I don't know how to do this in VTScada. Any ideas?

I'm not sure the Recipe system is what I am looking for. I don't need to write tags to a PLC or interface with a PLC at all. I just need VTScada to read values and strings from a text file into tags which I can arrange and display on the SCADA screens.

I'm not sure the Recipe system is what I am looking for. I don't need to write tags to a PLC or interface with a PLC at all. I just need VTScada to read values and strings from a text file into tags which I can arrange and display on the SCADA screens.

The recipes would hold the values and sync them across any additional servers you have. You would write them to memory tags (no driver or address).

You could add your values as custom application properties (settings -> advanced -> new property). This works well if you just have a few properties and allows you to write properties specific to different servers.

You can also read from a JSON API (say, run a PHP server which streams a JSON file of your values). This would work well with the JSON/XML driver.

You could do this with custom code and have VTScada sync the text file across servers. Though one of the other options is probably a lot easier and more robust if you add redundant servers.

The recipes would hold the values and sync them across any additional servers you have. You would write them to memory tags (no driver or address). You could add your values as custom application properties (settings -> advanced -> new property). This works well if you just have a few properties and allows you to write properties specific to different servers. You can also read from a JSON API (say, run a PHP server which streams a JSON file of your values). This would work well with the JSON/XML driver. You could do this with custom code and have VTScada sync the text file across servers. Though one of the other options is probably a lot easier and more robust if you add redundant servers.

Trihedral Engineering Ltd.

Thank for your suggestions. The Recipe tag may be useful in the future. I spent about an hour reading through the help on the subject and still do not understand how they function. Maybe it a tutorial video is posted I may employ that method in the future.
For now, I realized I could make a simple HTM file in Excel and use the Web Browser widget to display the file. I can easily edit the data on the HTM if it changes and no additional work would need to be done in VTS. Took me about 5 minutes. Simple is better and costs less.

Thank for your suggestions. The Recipe tag may be useful in the future. I spent about an hour reading through the help on the subject and still do not understand how they function. Maybe it a tutorial video is posted I may employ that method in the future. For now, I realized I could make a simple HTM file in Excel and use the Web Browser widget to display the file. I can easily edit the data on the HTM if it changes and no additional work would need to be done in VTS. Took me about 5 minutes. Simple is better and costs less.
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft