General Discussions
Connecting Mirco800 PLC to VTScada Light

Hi,

I have been trying to set up a connection between VTScadaLite and a Allen Bradley plc using Ethernet/Ip. From what I can gather I am using the correct driver and tag set up. But the digital [IN] does not register a value coming from the PLC.

The PLC can be pinged and ports have been enabled with all firewalls turned off.

The running PLC program is being monitored using the CCW software and network being monitored using Wireshark.

If there is something obvious that is needed and I am missing I would really appreciate some direction.

Hi, I have been trying to set up a connection between VTScadaLite and a Allen Bradley plc using Ethernet/Ip. From what I can gather I am using the correct driver and tag set up. But the digital [IN] does not register a value coming from the PLC. The PLC can be pinged and ports have been enabled with all firewalls turned off. The running PLC program is being monitored using the CCW software and network being monitored using Wireshark. If there is something obvious that is needed and I am missing I would really appreciate some direction.
edited Jan 4 '23 at 1:09 pm

Can you confirm that you are using the Rockwell Driver (https://www.vtscada.com/help/Content/D_Tags/D_RockwellDriverTag.htm) and that it is connected to a configured TCP/IP port tag.

If things are configured correctly, do either the port or driver have values?

Can you confirm that you are using the Rockwell Driver (https://www.vtscada.com/help/Content/D_Tags/D_RockwellDriverTag.htm) and that it is connected to a configured TCP/IP port tag. If things are configured correctly, do either the port or driver have values?

Trihedral Engineering Ltd.

Hi Dave,

I am using the Rockwell Driver configured with a TCP/IP port tag. I do get driver and port values that remain constant. The values change if I switch between port 2222 or 44818.

From what I understand of the Micro 850 PLC it uses symbolic tag addresses so for my tag address I have tested both my PLC input alias ( "START" ) and name ( "_IO_EM_DI_05" )... Again with no value being read from the PLC

Hi Dave, I am using the Rockwell Driver configured with a TCP/IP port tag. I do get driver and port values that remain constant. The values change if I switch between port 2222 or 44818. From what I understand of the Micro 850 PLC it uses symbolic tag addresses so for my tag address I have tested both my PLC input alias ( "START" ) and name ( "_IO_EM_DI_05" )... Again with no value being read from the PLC

Maybe this will make it a bit more clear:

I did change the variable to a switch so it would be easier to see the change in the value.

63b6a3b5c18f0
63b6a3b5cdbd2
63b6a3b60c983
63b6a3c23f197

Maybe this will make it a bit more clear: I did change the variable to a switch so it would be easier to see the change in the value. ![63b6a3b5c18f0](serve/attachment&path=63b6a3b5c18f0) ![63b6a3b5cdbd2](serve/attachment&path=63b6a3b5cdbd2) ![63b6a3b60c983](serve/attachment&path=63b6a3b60c983) ![63b6a3c23f197](serve/attachment&path=63b6a3c23f197)

I found it much easier to get the modbus addressing between VTScada and the AB Micro system - just need to setup the addresses in CCW.

My experiance is that the VTScada AB driver works awesome with the Compactlogix or ControlLogix, however didn't get it to work very well with the Micro PLCs - that was with a version mid 2022, might be fixed now...?

The VTScada help gives good info for the Modbus driver.

I found it much easier to get the modbus addressing between VTScada and the AB Micro system - just need to setup the addresses in CCW. My experiance is that the VTScada AB driver works awesome with the Compactlogix or ControlLogix, however didn't get it to work very well with the Micro PLCs - that was with a version mid 2022, might be fixed now...? The VTScada help gives good info for the Modbus driver.

While you can still connect to the Micro series via Modbus, the new Rockwell driver will also connect well. In Rudi's case, the issue was with the driver configuration.

As an aside, Rudy also had an issue with his tag writes, when dealing with the CIP symbolic addresses, there isn't a good way for VTScada to predict the data type (Any address could be for any type) to send so it has to be explicitly stated in the address field (there is a section in the help files on how to do this) UNLESS..... You are also reading the tag value from the PLC. If you are reading the tag value then VTScada will get the type from and will apply that type to values being output to the same address.

Rudy, if you are still watching the forum, I hope your project went well!

While you can still connect to the Micro series via Modbus, the new Rockwell driver will also connect well. In Rudi's case, the issue was with the driver configuration. As an aside, Rudy also had an issue with his tag writes, when dealing with the CIP symbolic addresses, there isn't a good way for VTScada to predict the data type (Any address could be for any type) to send so it has to be explicitly stated in the address field (there is a section in the help files on how to do this) UNLESS..... You are also reading the tag value from the PLC. If you are reading the tag value then VTScada will get the type from and will apply that type to values being output to the same address. Rudy, if you are still watching the forum, I hope your project went well!

Hi Dave!

My final project presentation went great to my surprise and massive relief. Thank you again for all your help in connecting to the PLC.

I've attached a picture of the two main problems I had while setting up my connection. The other issue that we did not discuss was the fact that I was running the connection through a server and then a separate switch and I needed to set my PC's IP address rather than let the server assign an IP.

63ddf11e0b4b5

Hi Dave! My final project presentation went great to my surprise and massive relief. Thank you again for all your help in connecting to the PLC. I've attached a picture of the two main problems I had while setting up my connection. The other issue that we did not discuss was the fact that I was running the connection through a server and then a separate switch and I needed to set my PC's IP address rather than let the server assign an IP. ![63ddf11e0b4b5](serve/attachment&path=63ddf11e0b4b5)

@JustRudi - Thanks for following up on this. It's great to hear your presentation went well and also thanks for updating the notes with the additional info.

@JustRudi - Thanks for following up on this. It's great to hear your presentation went well and also thanks for updating the notes with the additional info.

live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft