Support Forums
Copy existing trending data to new PC during Hardware/Software upgrade

Hello, I'm trying to figure out the process for retaining historical trend data during a hardware upgrade, where I am also upgrading the VTS version.

I've found information stating to copy the directory over from the old PC to the new PC, but it seems like I may need to install the same version of VTS on the new machine, then upgrade to the newer version, and I would like to be able to do so without installing the software twice.

Is this process covered in any documentation somewhere?

-Thanks

Hello, I'm trying to figure out the process for retaining historical trend data during a hardware upgrade, where I am also upgrading the VTS version. I've found information stating to copy the directory over from the old PC to the new PC, but it seems like I may need to install the same version of VTS on the new machine, then upgrade to the newer version, and I would like to be able to do so without installing the software twice. Is this process covered in any documentation somewhere? -Thanks

Install VTScada on the new PC (Following the license management instructions) and copy the application directory from the existing PC to the new PC. Typically the application is in the VTScada folder (IE: C:\VTScada\ApplicationName). From there, you can launch VTScada. Add a new application -> Select Advanced -> Then Find Existing. Select your application and when you launch it, it will be upgraded to work with the installed version of the software.

That is the quick summary, if you have any issues, please follow up and I will try to dig up a more detailed instruction from the help files.

Install VTScada on the new PC (Following the license management instructions) and copy the application directory from the existing PC to the new PC. Typically the application is in the VTScada folder (IE: C:\VTScada\ApplicationName). From there, you can launch VTScada. Add a new application -> Select Advanced -> Then Find Existing. Select your application and when you launch it, it will be upgraded to work with the installed version of the software. That is the quick summary, if you have any issues, please follow up and I will try to dig up a more detailed instruction from the help files.

Trihedral Engineering Ltd.

What if the alarm and data historians are set to log the data to a different file location, for instance a different hard drive?

What if the alarm and data historians are set to log the data to a different file location, for instance a different hard drive?

Ideally' keep that location the same on the new PC, if not, you should be able to find the location setting in the historian tag.

Ideally' keep that location the same on the new PC, if not, you should be able to find the location setting in the historian tag.

Ok, thank you.

The project I am working on the data was kept inside the data folder within the applications directory. On the old PC VTscada was installed on the C drive. On the new PC I am installing it on the D drive as to have VTscada and the historical data on a separate drive than windows OS. I assume that won't be an issue since the data is stored within the applications directory?

Ok, thank you. The project I am working on the data was kept inside the data folder within the applications directory. On the old PC VTscada was installed on the C drive. On the new PC I am installing it on the D drive as to have VTscada and the historical data on a separate drive than windows OS. I assume that won't be an issue since the data is stored within the applications directory?

It should all be fine. Just install VTScada on the new PC and copy the application directory over to the new location. From there, in VTScada you can add an existing application from the advanced options when creating a new application. You should see your application listed and when you launch it, it will be automatically upgraded to the latest version of VTScada and your history should all be there.

If you have any issue, check the history tag to ensure that it is pointed to the correct application location.

Please also keep a backup of the copied application files just in case you run into any problems.

It should all be fine. Just install VTScada on the new PC and copy the application directory over to the new location. From there, in VTScada you can add an existing application from the advanced options when creating a new application. You should see your application listed and when you launch it, it will be automatically upgraded to the latest version of VTScada and your history should all be there. If you have any issue, check the history tag to ensure that it is pointed to the correct application location. Please also keep a backup of the copied application files just in case you run into any problems.

live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft