General Discussions
Rename Types

Is there any way to rename a type? I can't figure out a way through the application configuration or through export & sync. I have tried exporting and changing the name on the VTS_Reserved tab and deleting the export info and data fields but that didn't seem to work.

Alternatively, is there an easy way to make a copy of a type?

Anyone have any ideas?

Is there any way to rename a type? I can't figure out a way through the application configuration or through export & sync. I have tried exporting and changing the name on the VTS_Reserved tab and deleting the export info and data fields but that didn't seem to work. Alternatively, is there an easy way to make a copy of a type? Anyone have any ideas?

Easy? No. No user-interface tools are provided for this. But, it's certainly not impossible. You just have to edit a bit of code.
<<Note. You are strongly advised to read the introductory chapters of the Programmer's Guide portion of the documentation before doing anything at the code level. Also, to make a backup of your application before touching the code.>>

There are three parts to a type definition:

• The TypeName.SRC file.
  • The sub-folder, ChildTags\TypeName
  • The declaration in the [POINTS section of AppRoot.SRC.

Your safer route is to copy all three to make a NewTypeName version of each. This way, you won't need to search out everything else (such as widgets) that are coded to use TypeName. Remember to Import File Changes in the VAM. And note that if you edit a tag's TypeName.SRC file, it immediately starts to count against your license. This is necessary to ensure that you can't side-step the license limit by adding I/O features to a new type.

Or, you could learn to like whatever name you used in the first place. smile

Easy? No. No user-interface tools are provided for this. But, it&#039;s certainly not impossible. You just have to edit a bit of code. &lt;&lt;Note. You are _strongly_ advised to read the introductory chapters of the Programmer&#039;s Guide portion of the documentation before doing anything at the code level. Also, to make a backup of your application before touching the code.&gt;&gt; There are three parts to a type definition: - The TypeName.SRC file. - The sub-folder, ChildTags\TypeName - The declaration in the [POINTS section of AppRoot.SRC. Your safer route is to copy all three to make a NewTypeName version of each. This way, you won&#039;t need to search out everything else (such as widgets) that are coded to use TypeName. Remember to Import File Changes in the VAM. And note that if you edit a tag&#039;s TypeName.SRC file, it immediately starts to count against your license. This is necessary to ensure that you can&#039;t side-step the license limit by adding I/O features to a new type. Or, you could learn to like whatever name you used in the first place. :)

Hi Andrew,
I wonder if I can use the method you mentioned above to copy/transfer the type from other application?
I copy SRC file into Application's root folder, added folder into the Childs and added the lines into AppRoot.SRC. But when try to "Import file changes" I'm getting the error: "Missing Module document file"

Should I update some other file?

Hi Andrew, I wonder if I can use the method you mentioned above to copy/transfer the type from other application? I copy SRC file into Application&#039;s root folder, added folder into the Childs and added the lines into AppRoot.SRC. But when try to &quot;Import file changes&quot; I&#039;m getting the error: &quot;Missing Module document file&quot; Should I update some other file?
edited Mar 11 '21 at 1:50 am

I believe I figured this out.
before doing the "Import File Changes", you has to check/enable new SRC file in the "Maintain File Manifest" section first, both for the new type SRC file and for the sub datatype in Child folder.
Looks like it works now. Not sure if this is a proper way to do it.

In case if you renaming existing types I would probably go with duplicating the existing type files/folders with a new name first and then you can delete your old type.

And I guess then you have to go and manually update every Widget which references to the old type.

I believe I figured this out. before doing the &quot;Import File Changes&quot;, you has to check/enable new SRC file in the &quot;Maintain File Manifest&quot; section first, both for the new type SRC file and for the sub datatype in Child folder. Looks like it works now. Not sure if this is a proper way to do it. In case if you renaming existing types I would probably go with duplicating the existing type files/folders with a new name first and then you can delete your old type. And I guess then you have to go and manually update every Widget which references to the old type.
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft