Support Forums
Reading data into VTScada from a general RS232 connection

I am wondering how I can read data into VTScada from a general RS232 connection given that the data packet format is known.

I am wondering how I can read data into VTScada from a general RS232 connection given that the data packet format is known.

What do you mean by known? If it is anything but a common protocol for one of our listed drivers, then you would have to write a custom driver for it.

We do not have a generic, read anything driver.

What do you mean by known? If it is anything but a common protocol for one of our listed drivers, then you would have to write a custom driver for it. We do not have a generic, read anything driver.

Doug Spurrell

I think that's a referring to a ASCII challenge and filter response type of generic driver like Kepware's ucon driver.

The ucon driver is not nearly as easy to use as they make it out to be. [doesn't matter unless it's usable.]

I just about drove myself nutters trying to use that thing to get data from a Veeder-Root TLS [a fuel tank monitoring system present in somewhere between one half to three quarters of gas stations in North America], which has a published protocol and should have been easy if time consuming but nope.

I think that's a referring to a ASCII challenge and filter response type of generic driver like Kepware's ucon driver. The ucon driver is not nearly as easy to use as they make it out to be. [doesn't matter unless it's usable.] I just about drove myself nutters trying to use that thing to get data from a Veeder-Root TLS [a fuel tank monitoring system present in somewhere between one half to three quarters of gas stations in North America], which has a published protocol and should have been easy if time consuming but nope.

Century Control Systems, Inc. www.centurycontrolsystems-inc.com

What I meant by 'known' is that I know the packet format being transmitted by the device. The device I am looking to communicate with only transmits data with the following protocols:

ASCII with Wh, HTTP GET, BIN48-NET-Time, BIN48-NET, SEG Format, BIN48-ABS, BIN32-NET, BIN32-ABS, Universal Device ISY, COSM.

What I meant by 'known' is that I know the packet format being transmitted by the device. The device I am looking to communicate with only transmits data with the following protocols: ASCII with Wh, HTTP GET, BIN48-NET-Time, BIN48-NET, SEG Format, BIN48-ABS, BIN32-NET, BIN32-ABS, Universal Device ISY, COSM.

Sorry, we don't have a driver that would use either of those. Something custom would have to be written.

Sorry, we don't have a driver that would use either of those. Something custom would have to be written.

Doug Spurrell

What would be the best way to approach writing a driver for this application?

What would be the best way to approach writing a driver for this application?

Writing drivers requires really advanced programming skills within our own programming language. It is not something that is a trivial project. I would recommend talking to your marketing rep about getting a quote from our engineering department.

Writing drivers requires really advanced programming skills within our own programming language. It is not something that is a trivial project. I would recommend talking to your marketing rep about getting a quote from our engineering department.

Doug Spurrell

live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft