Support Forums
Trigger On-screen keyboard on Windows 10.

Hi, is there a recommended way to trigger on-screen keyboard on Windows 10?
I have an application with a Program Spawn button and a path to c:\Windows\System32\osk.exe
The same button on Windows 7 would open the on-screen keyboard but not on Windows 10.
However, if I change it to notepad c:\Windows\System32\notepad.exe, it would work on both Windows 7 and Windows 10.

Thanks
Victor

Hi, is there a recommended way to trigger on-screen keyboard on Windows 10? I have an application with a Program Spawn button and a path to **c:\Windows\System32\osk.exe** The same button on Windows 7 would open the on-screen keyboard but not on Windows 10. However, if I change it to notepad **c:\Windows\System32\notepad.exe**, it would work on both Windows 7 and Windows 10. Thanks Victor

You have several options:

-You can put the device in tablet mode and the keyboard should appear when you click into an input box.
-You can show the keyboard button on the taskbar and open it from there. (see taskbar settings)
-If using VTScadaLIGHT or if you have a thin client, you can always connect through a web browser using the Anywhere client. This will allow you to use the browser keyboard.

Hopefully one of these solutions will work for you. If you need more help on these, please let me know. If can also try to chase the spawn command for the Windows 10 keyboard, if needed.

You have several options: -You can put the device in tablet mode and the keyboard should appear when you click into an input box. -You can show the keyboard button on the taskbar and open it from there. (see taskbar settings) -If using VTScadaLIGHT or if you have a thin client, you can always connect through a web browser using the Anywhere client. This will allow you to use the browser keyboard. Hopefully one of these solutions will work for you. If you need more help on these, please let me know. If can also try to chase the spawn command for the Windows 10 keyboard, if needed.

Trihedral Engineering Ltd.

The issue with spawning the keyboard in Windows 10 is that now it is a protected type executable of some type. What I have had to do is make a batch file and save it in the application folder as kb.bat or some such. The bactch file has the line -

start C:\Windows\System32\osk.exe

You call the batch file with the program spawn...it opens a command prompt long enough to open the keyboard.

The issue with spawning the keyboard in Windows 10 is that now it is a protected type executable of some type. What I have had to do is make a batch file and save it in the application folder as kb.bat or some such. The bactch file has the line - start C:\Windows\System32\osk.exe You call the batch file with the program spawn...it opens a command prompt long enough to open the keyboard.

Doug Spurrell

Dougs, thank you. Using the batch file works. There's some delay but the on-screen keyboard does show up eventually.

Dave, thanks for the suggestions. I tried the tablet mode route, but it doesn't seem to be consistent, and it's a full-screen application so we don't want the task bar to show up.

Dougs, thank you. Using the batch file works. There's some delay but the on-screen keyboard does show up eventually. Dave, thanks for the suggestions. I tried the tablet mode route, but it doesn't seem to be consistent, and it's a full-screen application so we don't want the task bar to show up.

I heard pop-up keyboard built into VTScada was coming with version 12.1.

Where are these new features found from Idea Studio & where can I read about them in the help?

I'm at 12.1.18 & I tried to use these today but I can't find any new widgets for popup keyboards. I also didn't see any new properties of our numeric entry to support keyboard input.

I heard pop-up keyboard built into VTScada was coming with version 12.1. Where are these new features found from Idea Studio & where can I read about them in the help? I'm at 12.1.18 & I tried to use these today but I can't find any new widgets for popup keyboards. I also didn't see any new properties of our numeric entry to support keyboard input.
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft