General Discussions
Automatic Silence of Audio Alarm Alerts after 5 seconds

For Testing Purposes, I would like to Enable or Disable an Automatic SilenceSound() Function so that I hear 5 seconds of the Alarm Alert sounds and then they are Silenced without Operator intervention. I don't want to Acknowledge or take any other Actions.

Any suggestions are much appreciated!

Thanks, Paul H. Bott, P.E.

For Testing Purposes, I would like to Enable or Disable an Automatic SilenceSound() Function so that I hear 5 seconds of the Alarm Alert sounds and then they are Silenced without Operator intervention. I don't want to Acknowledge or take any other Actions. Any suggestions are much appreciated! Thanks, Paul H. Bott, P.E.

I don't know of a way you could do this trivially.

It also would be against ISA 18.2 from my interpretation.

"The audible indication should be silenced with a silence action or acknowledge action by the operator."

I don't know of a way you could do this trivially. It also would be against ISA 18.2 from my interpretation. "The audible indication should be silenced with a silence action or acknowledge action by the operator."

Michael,

Thanks for the Comment and ISA 18.2 Reference! The Desired Silence Function is intended for Commissioning Testing ONLY to save repetitive Silence Actions by the Operator. I'll find another way to accomplish the necessary Testing.

Thanks, Paul H. Bott, P.E.

Michael, Thanks for the Comment and ISA 18.2 Reference! The Desired Silence Function is intended for Commissioning Testing ONLY to save repetitive Silence Actions by the Operator. I'll find another way to accomplish the necessary Testing. Thanks, Paul H. Bott, P.E.

Hmm.

You can control sound with VBScript. The hard part would be outputting a trigger from VTScada every time there is an alarm.

I quickly mute all the alarms indefinitely during commissioning after we've proven the sound bar works.

Hmm. You can control sound with VBScript. The hard part would be outputting a trigger from VTScada every time there is an alarm. I quickly mute all the alarms indefinitely during commissioning after we've proven the sound bar works.

One way to accomplish this is to change the "Sound Cycles" setting in all of your Alarm Priority tags. By default, these are set to "Unlimited" so that sounds play continuously but you can change to a specific number of cycles for each priority.

For example, the default VTScada settings for the AlarmPriority2 tah (i.e. the High priority) are:

Tone 1 plays at 1800Hz for 0.5 seconds
Tone 2 plays at 1000Hz for 0.5 seconds
Cycles is set to Unlimited

If the Cycles is set to 5, the you will get 5 seconds of audible annunciation each time a new high priority alarm occurs, followed by silence (if no other alarms are active).

Note that you will need to do this for all of the Alarm Priority tags .

One way to accomplish this is to change the "Sound Cycles" setting in all of your Alarm Priority tags. By default, these are set to "Unlimited" so that sounds play continuously but you can change to a specific number of cycles for each priority. For example, the default VTScada settings for the AlarmPriority2 tah (i.e. the High priority) are: Tone 1 plays at 1800Hz for 0.5 seconds Tone 2 plays at 1000Hz for 0.5 seconds Cycles is set to Unlimited If the Cycles is set to 5, the you will get 5 seconds of audible annunciation each time a new high priority alarm occurs, followed by silence (if no other alarms are active). Note that you will need to do this for all of the Alarm Priority tags .

Lawrence MacNeil
Trihedral Engineering Limited

live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft