General Discussions
Embed text from a PDF or Text File

Im trying to figure out how to embed text (Like an on call list) that is from a live document. I am currently using and Access Database that is pulling from an Excel spread sheet but I am using so many tags for every name and number it just doesnt make sense to do it this way. I think Im using somewhere around 20 tags just to have five people on the list and Im about to do this for a couple other departments so that operators will know who's on call just by clicking the on call button. Is there an easier way to do this such as the mentioned above such as embedding a Weekly updated PDF?

Im trying to figure out how to embed text (Like an on call list) that is from a live document. I am currently using and Access Database that is pulling from an Excel spread sheet but I am using so many tags for every name and number it just doesnt make sense to do it this way. I think Im using somewhere around 20 tags just to have five people on the list and Im about to do this for a couple other departments so that operators will know who's on call just by clicking the on call button. Is there an easier way to do this such as the mentioned above such as embedding a Weekly updated PDF?

No, that's probably the "easiest" I can think of.

You can reduce the tag count by packing data together in a large String IO tag and delimiting it somehow.

No, that's probably the "easiest" I can think of. You can reduce the tag count by packing data together in a large String IO tag and delimiting it somehow.

As Michael noted, you may wish to have a bit for each staff and a discrete value for each member. Each staff could have a calc tag that parses the discrete value to evaluate if that staff member is available. Then you could create a list showing the staff for each department. This would be relatively simple to implement.

In this example you might have the following in a department:
Dave [0001]
Jim [0010]
Chris [0100]
Matt [1000]

Therefore, a value of 13 [1101] could mean that everyone except Jim is available.

As Michael noted, you may wish to have a bit for each staff and a discrete value for each member. Each staff could have a calc tag that parses the discrete value to evaluate if that staff member is available. Then you could create a list showing the staff for each department. This would be relatively simple to implement. In this example you might have the following in a department: Dave [0001] Jim [0010] Chris [0100] Matt [1000] Therefore, a value of 13 [1101] could mean that everyone except Jim is available.

Trihedral Engineering Ltd.

You can also read a string and then parse that using a custom tag type or calculation tags. If you go this route, you may find the following from the VTScada help files useful: https://www.vtscada.com/help/Content/p_Welcome/pro_ExpressionText.htm

You can also read a string and then parse that using a custom tag type or calculation tags. If you go this route, you may find the following from the VTScada help files useful: https://www.vtscada.com/help/Content/p_Welcome/pro_ExpressionText.htm

Trihedral Engineering Ltd.

live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft