Support Forums
How to calculate the local disk space that will be used by VTScada tag`s historian

How to calculate the local disk space that will be used by VTScada tag`s historian?

For example, I have an application including two analog tag. Every minute the two analog tag data will be store into VTScada internal database by historian.

I want to know incremental local disk space that be used by historian and internal database for one hour and for one day. So I can prepare a appropriate disk for one year historian store.

Thank you.

How to calculate the local disk space that will be used by VTScada tag`s historian? For example, I have an application including two analog tag. Every minute the two analog tag data will be store into VTScada internal database by historian. I want to know incremental local disk space that be used by historian and internal database for one hour and for one day. So I can prepare a appropriate disk for one year historian store. Thank you.

Nobody can tell you this. It 100% depends on the application, the deadband, the poll rate, the variability of end devices, etc.

The only way to figure this out is to track the disk space used in your application over the time horizon you want. If you give it a month, that is probably enough to determine how much you can expect to use over the lifespan of a workstation/server (ex. 6 years)

I can tell you that it is generally less than fat SQL databases... something like Wonderware Historian for the same polling rates if you configure reasonable deadbands on your analogs.

I can also tell you that two analog tags polling at 120 second intervals will never in your lifetime use a meaningful amount of storage space.

Nobody can tell you this. It 100% depends on the application, the deadband, the poll rate, the variability of end devices, etc. The only way to figure this out is to track the disk space used in your application over the time horizon you want. If you give it a month, that is probably enough to determine how much you can expect to use over the lifespan of a workstation/server (ex. 6 years) I can tell you that it is generally less than fat SQL databases... something like Wonderware Historian for the same polling rates if you configure reasonable deadbands on your analogs. I can also tell you that two analog tags polling at 120 second intervals will never in your lifetime use a meaningful amount of storage space.
edited Nov 8 '21 at 6:35 pm
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft