Support Forums
Can VTScada let the PLC know if a particular alarm is active?

I have a number of analog I/O & calculation tags configured with advanced alarms.

I'd like some of these alarms to write to the PLC, setting a bit when they are active then resetting that bit when they are inactive.

Can this be configured? If so, how?

I have a number of analog I/O & calculation tags configured with advanced alarms. I'd like some of these alarms to write to the PLC, setting a bit when they are active then resetting that bit when they are inactive. Can this be configured? If so, how?

There are a number of ways to do this, one simple way would be to made an IO and Calc tag configured as a digital calculation. Then you can set the calculation to an expression similar to:

[AlarmTagName] == 1 ? 1 : 0

Set the address to your PLC address you wish to write to a 1 or 0 depending on the alarm condition.

There are a number of ways to do this, one simple way would be to made an IO and Calc tag configured as a digital calculation. Then you can set the calculation to an expression similar to: [AlarmTagName] == 1 ? 1 : 0 Set the address to your PLC address you wish to write to a 1 or 0 depending on the alarm condition.

Trihedral Engineering Ltd.

Thank you so much. This is going to save me so much work.

Not exactly sure how VTScada name their alarm tag names but I think I can figure this out. If it's not explained in the help I'll reply with a follow up question.

Thank you so much. This is going to save me so much work. Not exactly sure how VTScada name their alarm tag names but I think I can figure this out. If it's not explained in the help I'll reply with a follow up question.
edited Feb 8 '22 at 7:50 pm

So it turns out I don't have actual alarm tags. I have an analog I/O & calculation tags with advanced alarms configured from it's tab.

You mentioned there is a number of ways this can be done & I see you work for VTScada. Could we chat over the phone about this? Perhaps one of the other ways that came to mind for you be a better when I apply it.

So it turns out I don't have actual alarm tags. I have an analog I/O & calculation tags with advanced alarms configured from it's tab. You mentioned there is a number of ways this can be done & I see you work for VTScada. Could we chat over the phone about this? Perhaps one of the other ways that came to mind for you be a better when I apply it.

No need Dave, I found a way to do this that works well with what I've built.

No need Dave, I found a way to do this that works well with what I've built.

I'm glad you figured out a way to make this work in your system.

Learn about using tag values in expressions here: https://www.vtscada.com/help/Content/Scripting/Expressions/UseTagValues.htm

Note that you can also use tag properties and not just their values, these options are not well documented in the help files but for example [TagName]\Description would return the tag description. There are ways to get all of the available properties of each tag type but you typically have to create a custom tag type to easily see those options. I can't remember the alarm references but they are something like [Tag Name]\HighAlarmActive. IF I get a chance tonight, I'll update this will a list of the available properties for the I/O and Calc tag in VTScada 12.0.50

I'm glad you figured out a way to make this work in your system. Learn about using tag values in expressions here: https://www.vtscada.com/help/Content/Scripting/Expressions/UseTagValues.htm Note that you can also use tag properties and not just their values, these options are not well documented in the help files but for example [TagName]\Description would return the tag description. There are ways to get all of the available properties of each tag type but you typically have to create a custom tag type to easily see those options. I can't remember the alarm references but they are something like [Tag Name]\HighAlarmActive. IF I get a chance tonight, I'll update this will a list of the available properties for the I/O and Calc tag in VTScada 12.0.50

edited Feb 10 '22 at 1:34 am

Yep, that's exactly what I did. My analog I/O & calculations tag's called reading.

The syntax is [reading]\HighAlarmActive.

No need to reply here with a list of avilable properties but if that could be added to the help this would be great. I had to use the source debugger to get the property names but I found that tool hard to use.

Yep, that's exactly what I did. My analog I/O & calculations tag's called reading. The syntax is [reading]\HighAlarmActive. No need to reply here with a list of avilable properties but if that could be added to the help this would be great. I had to use the source debugger to get the property names but I found that tool hard to use.

Here are some commonly used properties for the I/O and Calc Tags

[TagName]\Name
[TagName]\Description

[TagName]\HighHighAlarmActive
[TagName]\HighAlarmActive
[TagName]\LowAlarmActive
[TagName]\LowLowAlarmActive

[TagName]\AlarmActive
[TagName]\DigitalAlarmActive

You can learn to find all of the properties for any tag by reading the help files here: https://www.vtscada.com/help/Content/Scripting/Expressions/UseTagProperties.htm?tocpath=Scripting%7CExpressions%7C_____8

Here are some commonly used properties for the I/O and Calc Tags [TagName]\Name [TagName]\Description [TagName]\HighHighAlarmActive [TagName]\HighAlarmActive [TagName]\LowAlarmActive [TagName]\LowLowAlarmActive [TagName]\AlarmActive [TagName]\DigitalAlarmActive You can learn to find all of the properties for any tag by reading the help files here: https://www.vtscada.com/help/Content/Scripting/Expressions/UseTagProperties.htm?tocpath=Scripting%7CExpressions%7C_____8

edited Feb 14 '22 at 6:10 pm

Does anyone else get gibberish when they reference the equipment type or description properties in an expression?
63dc3626d058a
For some properties like Name, I get the value I expect, and others return strange values.

Does anyone else get gibberish when they reference the equipment type or description properties in an expression? ![63dc3626d058a](serve/attachment&path=63dc3626d058a) For some properties like Name, I get the value I expect, and others return strange values.

Since VTScada 12, when multi language support was introduced, text properties refer to the Phrase Key rather than the phrase itself. You'll need to use a call such as \GetPhrase(..\Description) to get the string you are looking for.

You can learn more about this and view some examples here: https://www.vtscada.com/help/Content/Pro_Functions/GetPhrase.htm

Since VTScada 12, when multi language support was introduced, text properties refer to the Phrase Key rather than the phrase itself. You'll need to use a call such as \GetPhrase(..\Description) to get the string you are looking for. You can learn more about this and view some examples here: https://www.vtscada.com/help/Content/Pro_Functions/GetPhrase.htm

live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft