Support Forums
Two Servers both run as service

I have a site that has two RDP connections, currently both are being run as a 'service' type so I can access them via the webpage (anywhere client) and view the interface pages. The only issue is that I need to edit the graphics for these sites.

As far as I can find in the help documents one of these RDP's needs to be running as an application in order to access the graphics Idea Studio.

What are the risks of turning off one of the instances and restarting it as an application rather than a service? Is there a way to tell what RDP I should turn off and what effect it will have on the site?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

• Tyler
I have a site that has two RDP connections, currently both are being run as a 'service' type so I can access them via the webpage (anywhere client) and view the interface pages. The only issue is that I need to edit the graphics for these sites. As far as I can find in the help documents one of these RDP's needs to be running as an application in order to access the graphics Idea Studio. What are the risks of turning off one of the instances and restarting it as an application rather than a service? Is there a way to tell what RDP I should turn off and what effect it will have on the site? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. - Tyler

If you are running a recent version of VTScada, then you can use the idea studio (build and edit graphics and pages) using the VTScada Internet Client (VIC) rather than the anywhere client. This is a small downloaded piece which will run on any windows machine.

There typically isn't much risk in doing this so long as you have your servers configured as redundant.

If you need to temporarily switch an installation from a service to a regular installation and back, please see the command line help info here:

VTScada Command Line - performs startup and installation operations for the
VTScada application.

VTScada accepts no parameters, but does recognize the switches listed below:

/S Controls the execution of VTScada in service mode and exits.
This switch requires Administrator privileges to succeed.
Options are:
/S=install Installs the service, which will be started
automatically the next time the OS starts.
Re-installs the service if it is already
installed. Accepts user parameters, see below.
/S=start Starts the VTScada service, if it is installed
and not already started.
/S=stop Stops the VTScada service if it has been
started.
/S=uninstall Uninstalls the VTScada service.
/S=disable Disables the service. This prevents it from
starting but leaves it installed.
/S=enable Re-enables the service, such that it can once
again started, if it has been disabled.
The install option accepts user parameters which allow the
switch to be extended in the following format:
/S=install[user name][password]
The square braces must be included in the switch and there
can be no spaces outside of the braces (spaces are allowed
inside them). The "user name" must be a fully qualified user
name, including the domain name. "Password" must be the
password associated with the given user name, or can be left
out if the account has no password. These parameters allow the
user account that provides the VTScada service's security
rights to be specified.

/C Specifies the number of VTScada instances that can be running
simultaneously. It is highly recommended that this be left at
the default value (/C=1). Options are:
/C=1 Single instance
/C=M Multiple instances

If you are running a recent version of VTScada, then you can use the idea studio (build and edit graphics and pages) using the [VTScada Internet Client (VIC)](https://www.vtscada.com/help/Content/OP_VIC/Op_UseTheVIC.htm) rather than the anywhere client. This is a small downloaded piece which will run on any windows machine. There typically isn't much risk in doing this so long as you have your servers configured as redundant. If you need to temporarily switch an installation from a service to a regular installation and back, please see the command line help info here: VTScada Command Line - performs startup and installation operations for the VTScada application. VTScada accepts no parameters, but does recognize the switches listed below: /S Controls the execution of VTScada in service mode and exits. This switch requires Administrator privileges to succeed. Options are: /S=install Installs the service, which will be started automatically the next time the OS starts. Re-installs the service if it is already installed. Accepts user parameters, see below. /S=start Starts the VTScada service, if it is installed and not already started. /S=stop Stops the VTScada service if it has been started. /S=uninstall Uninstalls the VTScada service. /S=disable Disables the service. This prevents it from starting but leaves it installed. /S=enable Re-enables the service, such that it can once again started, if it has been disabled. The install option accepts user parameters which allow the switch to be extended in the following format: /S=install[user name][password] The square braces must be included in the switch and there can be no spaces outside of the braces (spaces are allowed inside them). The "user name" must be a fully qualified user name, including the domain name. "Password" must be the password associated with the given user name, or can be left out if the account has no password. These parameters allow the user account that provides the VTScada service's security rights to be specified. /C Specifies the number of VTScada instances that can be running simultaneously. It is highly recommended that this be left at the default value (/C=1). Options are: /C=1 Single instance /C=M Multiple instances

Trihedral Engineering Ltd.

Thanks for the information, I will try these suggestions and see what comes out of it. Taking over pre-existing servers so I will have to find out how they are configured.

Thanks for the information, I will try these suggestions and see what comes out of it. Taking over pre-existing servers so I will have to find out how they are configured.

Hello Dave,

I have been able to get access via the VIC into the server, I can now see the buttons for the tags, but the Studio button is still missing (see image below). I double checked my account credentials and I have top level access. Is there something I am missing somewhere that is still restricting that access to the graphics editor?

Thanks.

62684049308f4

Hello Dave, I have been able to get access via the VIC into the server, I can now see the buttons for the tags, but the Studio button is still missing (see image below). I double checked my account credentials and I have top level access. Is there something I am missing somewhere that is still restricting that access to the graphics editor? Thanks. ![62684049308f4](serve/attachment&path=62684049308f4)

Thanks for checking back on this. Can you check the info panel in the settings to determine the version of VTScada you are running and determine if your key has the remote internet client enabled? YOu'll need to ensure that it shows as enabled (which it should for any version 12.0.X license with development) Note that not all servers have development and it is common for only one server in a redundant system to have development. You may need to use the vic to connect to the backup server to access the Idea Studio.

I just checked this on a test app, and it all worked as expected with no special permissions on my machine. I also wasn't able to see anything (in a quick scan) which would be a default on a new app but may not be enabled on an older app which has been upgraded:

6268912d4841f

Thanks for checking back on this. Can you check the info panel in the settings to determine the version of VTScada you are running and determine if your key has the remote internet client enabled? YOu'll need to ensure that it shows as enabled (which it should for any version 12.0.X license with development) Note that not all servers have development and it is common for only one server in a redundant system to have development. You may need to use the vic to connect to the backup server to access the Idea Studio. I just checked this on a test app, and it all worked as expected with no special permissions on my machine. I also wasn't able to see anything (in a quick scan) which would be a default on a new app but may not be enabled on an older app which has been upgraded: ![6268912d4841f](serve/attachment&path=6268912d4841f)

edited Apr 27 '22 at 1:46 am

Hello Dave,

I went in and checked the information on the site. The site has an older version of VTScada on site (Vr11) Would that be messing with the access to the Idea Studio? Other than that I cant see anything that would indicate if the Remote Idea Studio is disabled or not. 6269bcb019d24

Hello Dave, I went in and checked the information on the site. The site has an older version of VTScada on site (Vr11) Would that be messing with the access to the Idea Studio? Other than that I cant see anything that would indicate if the Remote Idea Studio is disabled or not. ![6269bcb019d24](serve/attachment&path=6269bcb019d24)

Ok, this is the problem with getting development access through the VIC. In your case, I would check with your technical salesperson or the Integrator you worked with on this. If you have Support Plus with us, you can move to version 12 at no cost by updating the keys when you run the installer. If not, the sales folks can give you a quote to renew your support so you can upgrade.

You can reach the sales team here: https://www.vtscada.com/contact-us/

Ok, this is the problem with getting development access through the VIC. In your case, I would check with your technical salesperson or the Integrator you worked with on this. If you have Support Plus with us, you can move to version 12 at no cost by updating the keys when you run the installer. If not, the sales folks can give you a quote to renew your support so you can upgrade. You can reach the sales team here: https://www.vtscada.com/contact-us/

Thanks Dave. I will talk with the appropriate people and let you know what comes of it.

Thanks Dave. I will talk with the appropriate people and let you know what comes of it.
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft