Support Forums
Symbolic Addressing

Hello,
I have a S7-1516F-3 and I have a question about tags.

I have a PLC with a lot of data blocks collecting the production counts and information. They PLC is connected to an HMI using symbolic addressing instead of absolute addressing. How can I access these tags?

Thank You!

Hello, I have a S7-1516F-3 and I have a question about tags. I have a PLC with a lot of data blocks collecting the production counts and information. They PLC is connected to an HMI using symbolic addressing instead of absolute addressing. How can I access these tags? Thank You!

Kepware has a Siemens Plus driver which supports symbolic addresses which could then be read with OPC. I imagine it is close to $3k without redundancy though.

Otherwise you will have to move or map your tags to datablocks and addresses which can be addressed by the VTScada driver.

Kepware has a Siemens Plus driver which supports symbolic addresses which could then be read with OPC. I imagine it is close to $3k without redundancy though. Otherwise you will have to move or map your tags to datablocks and addresses which can be addressed by the VTScada driver.
edited May 21 '19 at 5:54 pm

I believe you can open your PLC software and look at 'Symbol Editor' window to get a cross reference of each address.

I believe you can open your PLC software and look at 'Symbol Editor' window to get a cross reference of each address.

Trihedral Engineering Ltd.

Michael is right.

I have TIA Portal so there is no 'Symbol Editor', TIA supports symbolic addresses which have no link to global memory.

I am going to have to take and map all those symbolic tags into a datablock so I can get the DB.DBX* for example.

This is also the same with Allen Bradley Control Logix. They also use Symbolic Tags not linked to a physical address.

Michael is right. I have TIA Portal so there is no 'Symbol Editor', TIA supports symbolic addresses which have no link to global memory. I am going to have to take and map all those symbolic tags into a datablock so I can get the DB**.DBX*** for example. This is also the same with Allen Bradley Control Logix. They also use Symbolic Tags not linked to a physical address.

Hey Brandon, I'm not sure if there is a more efficient way for you to do this currently. We do support symbolic addressing on the AB PLC's using our CIP driver however this driver is AB specific (Currently).

Hey Brandon, I'm not sure if there is a more efficient way for you to do this currently. We do support symbolic addressing on the AB PLC's using our CIP driver however this driver is AB specific (Currently).

Trihedral Engineering Ltd.

live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft